Chess Programs for Students
To master the game of chess students must understand the elements that not only affect game play but also determine the winner. In chess there are seven elements:
- Material—The force of the pieces and the most permanent of the elements. Understanding the value of the various chess pieces leads to controlling the next element, space.
- Space—The amount of squares a player controls especially center squares. By controlling space on the chess board you can control the next element, time.
- Time—The amount of pieces you have out in play. The more pieces in play the greater time you have to make effective moves to gain position.
- Position—The position of the all chess pieces. The quality of the position can add up to more than actual material gained or lost. The better position your pieces are in creates a harmony for effective game play.
- Harmony—How the pieces work together. Understanding the role our chess pieces play in our band invariably creates dynamic game play.
- Dynamics—In short, tactics. Combinations are the spice in chess and utilizing various tactics allows students to understand their own as well as their opponents’ psychological tactics.
- Psychology—Your pattern of thinking and your opponents thus enabling you to predict behavioral patterns on and off the chessboard.
We have created our Master PhD (MST PhD) program based on these 7 elements. This program enriches students to become proficient in utilizing these elements to hone their game play. The MST PhD method is adapted from Aaron Nimzowitsch, a leading chess master, author, and one of the greatest minds in chess history. Nimzowitsch’s philosophies still impact the way chess is played even to this day. We teach from the beginning not only how the pieces move, but why they want to be on a certain square. This way students learn early on how pieces relate to each other as well as their opposing pieces.
The PhD method takes longer to teach it decreases the learning curve and dismisses bad habits developed in beginner game play. Thus through the MST PhD method students see the big picture from the start. Students then progress beyond the beginner level based on consistent utilization of the MST PhD program in game play.